What is a dental bridge?
A bridge is a restoration used to replace one or more missing teeth. Generally, a dental bridge is used to replace a single missing tooth or a couple of teeth that are missing in a row. A traditional dental bridge, which is the most common type, is created from two dental crowns and one or more artificial replacement teeth. These replacement teeth, called pontics, are supported by the crowns, which are placed on the natural teeth or dental implants adjacent to the gap. The crowns and pontics are made from molds and impressions of your teeth to match the shape and size of your natural teeth.
Do I need a bridge?
If you have lost one or more teeth, our dentist may recommend a dental bridge as a secure, lasting option for replacing your missing teeth. When in place, a bridge can improve your smile by:
- Restoring the shape and volume of your face
- Improving your ability to speak, chew, and eat as usual
- Preventing the remaining natural teeth from moving into the space left by the missing teeth
- Enhancing the appearance of your smile
- Alleviating excess stress on the bite
For more information about getting a dental bridge in Ann Arbor, Michigan, we invite you to contact Dr. Alberto A. Herrero’s office today. We look forward to restoring your smile!